Prof. Julien Laurat
Laboratoire Kastler Brossel
Université P. et M. Curie
4 Place Jussieu
75005 Paris, France
Tel : +33 1 44273064
Email : email@example.com
Since 2007 : Associate (2007-2012) then Full Professor (2013-present) at UPMC, Researcher at Laboratoire Kastler Brossel, Member of the Institut Universitaire de France
Experimental and theoretical researches to develop the scientific and technical abilities for the realization of quantum networks with applications to the distribution and processing of quantum information. It includes the development of light-matter interfaces for quantum data storage and processing, the characterization and manipulation of various non-classical states of light, and the implementation of networking protocols using these resources.
2005-2007 : Postdoctoral Scholar at Caltech, in H.J. Kimble group, Marie Curie fellow.
Light-matter interaction at the quantum level by interfacing atomic ensembles and single photons. First demonstrations of rudimentary networks based on DLCZ.
2004-2005 : Postdoctoral Scholar at Insitut d’Optique-Graduate School, in Ph. Grangier group.
Optical Schrödinger cat states for quantum information processing.
2001-2004 : PhD in Quantum Optics at Laboratoire Kastler Brossel, under the supervision of Prof. C. Fabre.
Optical parametric oscillators (OPO) for the generation and characterization of non-classical states of light (i.e. squeezing, entanglement) in the continuous-variable (CV) regime. Thesis link
Research and Conference organization
2011-2015 : Coordinator of the European ERA-Net CHISTERA project « QSCALE : Extending the range of quantum communications »
2012-2014 : Coordinator of the ERA-Net.Rus project « Nanoquint »
2012-2014 : Coordinator of the French-Russia networks PICS on « Coherent interactions of light with complex atomic systems »
2013 : Organization of the continuous-variable quantum information workshop « CVQIP’13», Paris
2013 : Organization of the « Informal Workshop on atomic ensembles », Paris
Teaching activities and University service
Professor at Université P. et M. Curie
- Course in electromagnetism, optical design, optoelectronics (L degree)
- High-level course about light-matter interaction at the Ecole Normale Supérieure (Master and Doctorate degrees)
- In charge of a L3 training program in Optronics. The students are half-time studying at the university and half-time working as apprentice in a company.
Elected as "University Golden Nugget" in 2014.
2008-2013 : Member of the Physics Department board, in charge of infrastructures.
- Listed in « La jeune garde de la science » by La Recherche in 2015
- ERC Starting Grant, 2012
- Paris Emergence Award, 2011
- IUF Junior member, 2011
- Outgoing Marie Curie Fellow, 2005-2007
- Large Bragg reflection from one-dimensional chains of trapped atoms near a nanoscale waveguide
N.V. Corzo, B. Gouraud, A. Chandra, A. Goban, A.S. Sheremet, D. Kupriyanov, J. Laurat
arXiv:1604:03129. Phys. Rev. Lett. in press
- Storage and retrieval of vector beams of light in a multiple-degree-of freedom quantum memory
V. Parigi, V. D’Ambrosio*, C. Arnold*, L. Marrucci, F. Sciarrino, J. Laurat
Nature Commun. 6, 7706 (2015)
- Demonstration of a memory for tightly guided light in an optical nanofiber
B. Gouraud, D. Maxein, A. Nicolas, O. Morin, J. Laurat
Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 180503 (2015)
- Optical synthesis of large-amplitude squeezed coherent-state coherent superpositions
K. Huang, H. Le Jeannic, J. Ruaudel, V.B. Verma, M.D. Shaw, F. Marsili, S.W. Nam, E Wu, H. Zeng, Y.C. Jeong, R. Filip, O. Morin, J. Laurat
Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 023602 (2015)
- Remote creation of hybrid entanglement between particle-like and wave-like optical qubits
O. Morin, K. Huang, J. Liu, H. Le Jeannic, C. Fabre, J. Laurat
Nature Photonics 8, 570 (2014)
- A quantum memory for orbital angular momentum photonic qubits
Nicolas, L. Veissier, L. Giner, E. Giacobino, D. Maxein, J. Laurat
Nature Photonics 8, 234 (2014)
- Witnessing trustworthy single-photon entanglement with local homodyne measurements
O. Morin, J.D. Bancal, M. Ho, P. Sekatski, V. D’Auria, N. Gisin, J. Laurat, N. Sangouard
Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 130401 (2013)
- Quantum Decoherence of Single-Photon Counters
V. D’Auria, N. Lee, T. Amri, C. Fabre, J. Laurat
Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 050504 (2011)
- Mapping photonic entanglement into and out of a quantum memory
K.S. Choi, H. Deng, J. Laurat, H.J. Kimble
Nature 452, 67 (2008)
- Heralded entanglement between atomic ensembles: preparation, decoherence, and scaling
J. Laurat, K.S. Choi, H. Deng, C.W. Chou, H.J. Kimble
Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 180504 (2007)
- Functional quantum nodes for entanglement distribution over scalable quantum networks
C.W. Chou, J. Laurat, H. Deng, K.S. Choi, H. de Riedmatten, D. Felinto, H.J. Kimble
Science 316, 1316 (2007)
- Generating optical Schrödinger kittens for quantum information processing
A. Ourjoumtsev, R. Tualle-Brouri, J. Laurat, Ph. Grangier
Science 312, 83 (2006)
- Conditional preparation of a quantum state in the continuous variable regime
J. Laurat, T. Coudreau, N. Treps, A. Maître, C. Fabre
Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 213601 (2003)